Monday, August 23, 2010

Gramma Flo's Zuchini Bread Recipe

Our garden this year has produced several large zucchini and I wasn't prepared with how to use all this zucchini bounty without wasting it.  I was telling this to my grandmother, who suggested I make zucchini bread and she sent along her recipe. 
My grandparents are in their mid 80s and still have a garden of their own, much larger than our garden; so I knew gramma would have a great recipe; she also sent another zuke recipe that I will try with my next from the garden.  I finally make some bread last night and it sure is tasty so I wanted to add the recipe here. 

Zucchini Bread - Gramma Flo's from Aunt Dodo's Kitchen. 

Ingredients:  3 eggs, 2 Cup Sugar, 2 t vanilla, 1 cup cooking oil, 2 cups grated zucchini, 3 cup flour, 1 t baking soda, 2 t cinnamon, 4t baking powder, 1t salt.  Optional; 1 cup chopped nuts (or sub chocolate chips).

Mix together in a large bowl and pour into 2 greased loaf pans.  Bake 325 for 1 hour. 

Gramma says; Aunt Hazel used to add 1 can of drained crushed pineapple, but Gramma has never tried it.  (sounds good though, next time:)

Since I am not much of a baker; I want to add my two cents to the recipe.  I added 3/4 cup of brown sugar and just 1 cup of regular sugar since I was low on granulated sugar and it tasted great!  I also poured half of my mixture into a cupcake pan, since we do not have two loaf pans; if you want to make the cupcakes only bake for 37-40 minutes.  I also added a little bit of honey and chocolate chips instead of nuts. 
I grated my zucchini with a carrot peeler and that worked just fine; I did leave some of the outer skin on and then I chopped up the grated zucchini before adding it to the mixture. 

I live at high altitude, so I did not drain the water out of the zucchini and the bread is very moist; I also baked the bread for just about 55 minutes as things cook faster up here. 

This is a yummy zucchini recipe and it turned out really good; I am eating some for breakfast now actually.  Thanks gramma, Aunt Dodo and Aunt Hazel for the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment